Kid friendly heaters for the cold winter
A child safe space heater for in cold kids rooms can be a great solution for winters. With winter up on us again and the weather getting colder in many areas, many parents start worrying about how to keep the kids warm and cozy in their bedrooms.
Comparison Table best Kids Room Space Heaters
Best Kids Safe Space Heaters – Reviews by consumer Reports
Though normally I rate my lists according to bestselling I couldn’t find a best sellers list of space heaters suitable for children’s rooms. That is why these list is in no specific order.
1. Vornadobaby Tempa Nursery Heater – The best Portable kid safe space heater
Pros of the Vornadobaby Tempa Nursery Heater:
As described in the safety first section this heater has a few of the pros for kids,
- namely a cool-touch exterior, so the surface temperature is child hands proof.
- It has a tip-over protection, the heater shuts itself of when tipped over.
- Automatic safety shut-off system when an excessive temp is reached (uses a sensor).
- It is silent enough to sleep and there is only a small light on the on/off switch.
- The excessive cable can be rolled up in the base.
Cons of the Vornadobaby Tempa Nursery Heater:
- Compared to an earlier model child’s hands can now touch the control buttons more easily.
- The on and off switch is the only child lock it has.
- It heats mildly, so not strong enough for larger areas. Fine for a nursery room though.
2. Delonghi kid safe space heater
Pros of the Delonghi kid safe space heater:
- The heater turns on when the temperature goes below freezing point and it turns off when the safety thermal cutoff triggers (when covered by a blanket or tipped over).
- It has a wide stable base to prevent tipping over.
- It is not hot to the touch.
Cons of the Delonghi kid safe space heater:
- According to a few users the fan tends to get noisy over time so it is not so quite anymore.
- Also the auto shut off function doesn’t seem to work for all users.
Vornadobaby Tempa versus the delonghi kid safe space heater
As the Vornadobaby is specially made as a child friendly space heater this one has a few advantages above the Delonghi heater. Next to that the tip over protection seems to give less trouble according to users. For the difference in price the Vornadobaby is still my preferred heater. If you really prefer a Delonghi heater check out the one below. It is a bit more expensive and takes more space but it is worth to check it out.
3. Wall Mount Space Heater Panel – The best wall-mounted kid safe space heater – Ceramic
Pros of the Wall Mount Space Heater Panel:
- It only uses 400 watt so it is good for your energy bill.
- With the heat guard it is perfectly suitable as a child safe room heater. T
- here is no fan to protect from kids hands.
- As this is installed on the wall tipping over is no risk.
Cons of the Wall Mount Space Heater Panel:
- The heat guard is sold separately so that will make the cost go up by about $30.
- Thermostat is separately.
- This heater stinks the first few days.
4. Dr Infrared Heater Quartz review
+ PTC Infrared Portable Space Heater
Dr Infrared Heater Quartz + PTC Infrared Portable Space Heater – 1500 Watt, UL Listed , Produces 60% More Heat with an Advanced Dual Heating System.
Pros of the Dr Infrared Heater Quartz :
- This is a very quiet heater. You won’t notice it is on except for the orange color.
- Nice small so it won’t take a lot of space.
- Gives a cozy radiating heat, which is different then air warmers.
- It looks stylish and it has wheels to move it easily.
Cons of the Dr Infrared Heater Quartz :
- Can’t handle large rooms like most if not all of the heaters. It is also not good for heating up a room but better used for maintaining the temperature.
- It does draw some serious current, though.
5. AmazonBasics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater
Pros of the AmazonBasics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater
- This is a heavy heater what makes it stable and safe to use as tipping it over is hard.
- The fan is very quiet.
- he casting does not get very hot.
Cons of the AmazonBasics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater
- The small grill in the front of this heater does get hot to the touch.
Child friendly heater reviews – other top rated heaters are described below:
The Amaze-Heater is a wall mounted room space heater with a protective heat guard.
The pros of the Amaze Heater: The protective heat guard is nice for curious kids fingers. The heater has no fan so it is quiet. If you listen very well there is a soft humming. It is easy to mount and you can paint it to mach the room.
Cons of the Amaze-Heater: There seems to be some odor the first day. Most people think it is negligible but some are really irritated by it.
Pros of the VonHaus 450W heater: The cool touch edge protection means that you can touch the heater for about 5 secs before it becomes uncomfortable. The low energy is good for your wallet and for the environment. It heats up fast.
Cons of the VonHaus 450W heater: This heater has no thermostat so keeping the room at the temperature you want is difficult.
Pros of the econo-Heat 0603 E-Heater: This is a great heat maintainer! It is very energy efficient according to the producer and the user reviews, so it should save you some money. You can touch them without getting burned, this is really handy when you have kids or pets. As there is no fan it is completely silent. Gives of a great cozy heat. Not like a fire blazing in your face. You can paint it to match the rest of the room.
Cons of the econo 0603: You can’t use it on bigger spaces. The way it works (via radiation) means it is better to use for maintaining temperature then for heating a room. First 8 hours you use it it will smell because of a protective coating. This is non toxic but it does smells terribly chemical.
DeLonghi TRD0715T Safeheat review
DeLonghi TRD0715T Safeheat 1500W Portable Oil-Filled Radiator with Vertical Thermal Tunnels
Pros of the TRD0715T: The radiator does get hot but when you touch it you won’t get burned. When it accidentally tips by playing kids or dogs it will use an automatic shut off. So this makes it children’s room proof. It has an 24 hour programmable timer, which makes it even more energy efficient. Easy to move because of the retractable wheels. It heats a small room fast.
Cons of the TRD0715T: It is not suitable for quickly heating large rooms. It has no LCD temperature display which is nowadays available on a lot of other heaters.
Tips for special features for child safe space heaters to use in a nursery – Buying Guide
Babies and small toddlers are worth a bit of thought as they don’t have a lot of thick blankets and need a comfy warm room. Though you can let your baby sleep in your room, if you want them to have their own room you can do this with kid friendly space heaters for in the nursery or children’s room. Oh by the way, no worries for the older kids as those snuggle under their covers like we do, when the thermostat goes down at night for cost and environment saving.
This will always be a very delicate point as electricity and kids are a dangerous combination. Especially when you sleep too. But here are some tips to consider when choosing a child safe space heater for a kids room:
– Safety first off course – surprisingly enough there are still a lot of burn wounds on kids every year in the hospital.
– Quiet or at least low noise. This means that a lot of the fan operated heaters are not that suitable as those are often noisy.
– Energy efficient – you don’t want to change the winnings of putting your thermostat down to be spend on the heater or worse.
Those last two are easily enough but the first needs some more explanation: What makes a space heater a kid friendly heater?
Safety first off course
- Surface temperature – The surface temperature should be cool to the touch. For example if the heating element sits in a large container kids cant reach it and this prevents burnt fingers.
- Safety switch – Some space heaters have a safely switch underneath them. When the heater falls it will shut itself off.
- Thermostat – A maximum temperature after which the heater will shut itself off. (thermostat)
- Fan protection – The fan should be well protected by a fine maze grate.
- Placement – And there are of course some safety precautions you need to follow yourself, mainly in choosing the place you will install the heater. It needs to be stable and the controls of the heater needs to be out of reach of curious kids hands. Preferable the whole heater should be out of reach and even if your kid let the blanket slip out of its bed it should not cover the heater to prevent the possibility of fire.
Should you use a space heater in a kids room?
It has been the opinion for a long time that you should not leave a space heater unattended. So certainly not unattended in a nursery. Times do have been changed though and our electronic equipment has improved. Safety switches, maximum temperature shutoff systems, fan protection, everything has been improved. Modern heaters are a lot better. So many parent do use them to heat a nursery before they bring there little one there for a nap or bedtime.
But the best method to prevent fires and other accidents is still not to leave electric space heaters unattended in kids rooms (according to Consumer Reports). A thermostat can break, when a heater tips half over and the safety switch is not activated it will heat whatever it touches and possibly put that on fire. Though space heater are a lot saver then they used to be most parents still don’t leave the heater on when they go to bed.
Overall space heater safety rules
Most of these rules are just common sense but to be sure here they are:
• Use a certified space heater
• Keep the heater clear of anything.
• Don’t use the heater to dry things, it can catch fire.
• Make sure there is a minimum distance of three feet clear of your heater.
• Your heater needs to stands on a stable surface / or a well installed table, so it can’t fall.
• Take care near water with all electric equipment.
• Check that your power outlet can handle the heater. Space heaters use a lot electricity
Which is the Best space heater for kids room
Electric space heaters come in two types. They are either:
The first one is the most easy to use.
The second is a bit more work but also a bit saver as it is fixed to the wall and can’t fall. (when installed right of course).
All links are Updated twice daily. Last update on 2021-09-26 at 07:44