Which pressure vac-sweep would your pool need? The Polaris 280 versus Polaris 360 versus Polaris 380? Here is a table and summary of their differences.
Polaris 280 versus Polaris 360 versus Polaris 380 Comparison Table
| ||Polaris 280|
|Cleans the:||Bottom and walls||Bottom and walls||Bottom and walls and steps
|Requires Booster Pump||Yes||No. |
Pool circulation pump.
|Size Vacuum Inlet||2 ½"||2 ¼"||2 ¼"
|Drive||Gears driven||Belt driven||Belt driven
Last update on 2018-04-23 / refreshed every 4 hours / Contains affiliate links
What are the main differences between the 280 versus 360 versus 380?
First the short answer. The main differences IMHO are:
- The 280 is the basic version of the 380. It does need a booster pump.
- The 360 needs no booster pump, it uses the pool circulation pump.
- The 380 has as extra it cleans the bottom, the walls and the steps!
- And the overall differences is of course the price.
What are the pros and cons of these differences?
Alas, why should you pay more?
- The 280 is the basic version. A very proven concept over time. It does need a booster pump so although the price is the same as the 360, the total ends up higher. (more then 200 extra if you buy the advised Polaris PB4-60 booster pump)
- The 360 needs no booster pump, it uses the pool circulation pump. Which seems cheaper as you don’t need to buy the booster pump and you don’t need extra energy to run it. On the other hand it gives more strain on the pools circulation pump, which can then wear out faster. That will depend on the power of your circulation pump.
- The 380 has as extra it cleans the bottom, the walls and the steps! Expensive as it not only costs more but you will need the booster too. But AAhhh, it cleans it all for you! No need to still go in and still clean the steps yourself.
So the bottom line is: What is worth your money and what are you willing to do yourself?
a few small differences
Further there are a few small differences which can matter for a small group of people. Like the 280 has an extra wide vacuum inlet compared to the other two. Nice for those who have trees with bigger leaves next to their swimming pool. The 280 has two jet nozzles while the 380 has three. Also the 280 is driven by gears while the 380 is belt driven. This could be a high maintenance item according to some users.
Polaris vac sweep 280
Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Pressure-Side Automatic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
Polaris 280 Overview
Pool Vacuum Reviews:
The Polaris 280 Automatic Pool Cleaner is reputably one of the more popular inground pool cleaners manufactured by Polaris. The Polaris 280 is powered by double jets and a booster pump. This particular pool cleaner will scrub and vacuum your pool floor and walls. Not only does it do a very good job of cleaning and scrubbing, but it is also able to trap large items that have fallen into your pool in its own filter bag.
Pros of the Polaris 280
works well if it is set up correctly.
Every few minutes it activates the back-up valve to reverse the cleaner so it does not get stuck in corners.
Cons of the Polaris 280
You need the extra power of the Polaris booster for it to function.
Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner Reviews
- …This Polaris 280 works great. Once you get it adjusted to your pool and get the pressures set, it runs around just like it is supposed to (what a concept) Setup was very easy, getting it running in the pool is easy, and unloading the leaf bag is easy. I’ll report back after I see if it lasts for a few seasons. It is simple in design so I don’t expect problems…
- …The 280 cleans the pool extremely good with a small amount of maintenance. I place a 12 inches nylon sock on top of the exit going within the bag, then change it every month. With this method I do not need to clean the bag…
- …I started with a Polaris 380. I loved the pool vacuum but unfortunately a few years later on it suffered damage beyond repair. I then gave the Polaris 360 a go but that was a Huge step back. Now I replaced it with the Polaris 280 and luckily it works as fine as the first one however with the considerable cost benefit. I am fantastically content…
Polaris 280 Reviews are partially taken from second sites. The admin will not take responsibility for what they claim.
Polaris 280 Product Features and Specifications:
- Dependable, automatic, in-ground pool cleaner
- Double jets provide greater vacuum power and faster cleaning; sweeps and scrubs the bottom and walls of any size pool
- Runs off a separate booster pump; unique filter bag removes debris before it reaches the pump basket or filter
Main Features: The Polaris 280 performs its tasks precisely and exactly how it is supposed to, without getting stuck in the corners or getting clogged. Ease and efficiency of use makes this particular automatic pool cleaner one of the best on the market. It is also very easy to do the initially setup and to make adjustments to it when needed. This particular model it is very easy to unload and empty the leaf bag, what can be a hassle with some other cleaners.
Why Buy a Polaris 280?
Being able to put it in the pool and knowing it will do its job without a lot of maintenance or adjustment takes all the work out of keeping the pool clean. The suggested retail price is around $760 which is a bit steep for some of us. Luckily the prices vary a lot depending on where you order your pool cleaner from, and it is possible to order them online for around $380. While this might be slightly more than you would pay for another similarly featured pool cleaner, I think it has been worth every cent.
Polaris vac sweep 360
Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 Pressure Side Automatic In-Ground Pool Cleaner
Polaris 360 Overview
Pool Vacuum Reviews – The Polaris 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner is designed to be used in gunite in-ground swimming pools. The 360 is connected to the normal pool control system and can be programmed to run a predetermined amount of time each day to ensure that the swimming pool stays clean.
Polaris 360 User Reviews
- …Its a Top pressure side pool vacuum for my money. That is what other reviews on websites told and that has been my experience over three years. Once upon a time in a blue moon it does get its sweep tail caught in its vacuum port, we just pull it out, further no problems with the cleaner…
- …I put off buying a pool vacuum for years but finally purchased one last month. It was the best purchase I could have done. I have not cleaned the swimming pool manually since then. I can now lounge and actually benefit from owning a pool. If you don’t have one you ought to get it. It makes pool possession so much relaxed…
Polaris 360 Reviews are partially taken from second sites. The admin will not take responsibility for what they claim.
Polaris 360 Product Features and Specifications:
- Advanced, automatic, in-ground pool cleaner
- Sweeps, scrubs, and vacuums all surfaces of the pool
- Traps large debris in its own filter bag
- Includes filter bag and 31-foot hose kit
Main Features: First benefit is that the 360 runs on a dedicated return line or pressure line instead of a booster pump. This saves money by eliminating the extra cost of electricity it would take to run the separate pump. A second popular feature is that it is able to maneuver the inside perimeter of the swimming pool without getting caught in tight corners with the help of its back-up valve. This allows for continual cleaning for the duration of the pool sweep cycle. A third benefit is that the pool sweep comes in a black color that allows it to blend better with swimming pools that are finished with dark colored plasters.
Why Buy a Polaris 360?
A new Polaris 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner can be bought online starting at $350. Some online stores offer free or reduced rate shipping with this product.
Polaris vac sweep 380
Polaris Vac-Sweep 380 F3 Pressure Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
Polaris 380 Overview
Pool vacuum Reviews – The Polaris 380 – The 3 jets will vacuum the bottom and walls of your swimming pool and at the same time the cleaner will distribute chemicals through the pool. This Pool Vacuum uses a separate booster pump, so the filtration system still runs efficiently.
Polaris 380 User Reviews
Here are some of the average comments of users about the Polaris 380 pool vac:
- …reviews… Tricky at first but works really well now
- Do not try the Polaris when your pool is green !!
- Gave me a lot of trouble. But Polaris in California is very helpful and I put it in again a few days later and it did it all.
So lesson learned. Be realistic about what you expect this pool vacuum to do.
- This cleaner stopped working after six months. And parts are really expensive!
Polaris 380 Reviews are partially taken from second sites. The admin will not take responsibility for what they claim.
Polaris 380 Product Features and Specifications:
- Quality, automatic and robot pool vacuum
- in-ground pools
- All pool sizes and shapes
- Circulates clean filtered water through the pool
- Filter bag removes filth before it reaches your pump or filter
Why should you Buy a Polaris 380?
To be honest: I don’t know if I would buy the Polaris 380. Probably not, as it is quite expensive and though I think the total reviews are not bad and some customers seem to be very happy I would prefer one of the mainstream pool cleaners. If I may advice you, have a look at the Polaris 280 too.